On December 17, 2016 we gave away 3 scholarships to the paralegal program through Blackstone Career Institute to incarcerated sex workers and one scholarship to Adams State University. It is so exciting to see the community embrace education for incarcerated sex workers. In December of 2017 we gave away another 5 scholarships and our goal for December of 2018 is to give away 12 scholarships for paralegal or accountant training. One of our newest recipients plans to use his paralegal education to help other prisoners file motions and research case law for other prisoners. This is how we empower sex workers! These programs allow incarcerated folks to get the education they need to be successful upon release. We will continue to work to provide more scholarships for the Paralegal Program as well as Scholarships for Adams State University to study a broad range of subjects.
You can help us fund these critical scholarships by donating today. Our next Scholarship awards will be on December 17, 2018. Each program costs approximately $900 and includes all study materials, books and testing. Please join us as we work to provide opportunity and access to incarcerated individuals!
Adams State University is committed to addressing the specific needs of incarcerated students:
- Quality – Adams State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools at 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois, 60604. HLC can be contacted at 800-621-7440, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.ncahlc.org/
- Affordability – Tuition for correspondence courses is $185 per semester hour with the same low rate of tuition for both Colorado and non-Colorado residents. In addition, the application fee is waived for incarcerated students. ASU Extended Studies is also the only institution in Colorado that processes VA benefits for incarcerated students.
- Support – Each student is assigned an advisor who is a single point of contact, available year round by toll-free telephone or US mail.
- Transferability – ASU can accept up to 90 transfer credit hours from regionally accredited institutions of Higher Education for a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree and up to 45 credit hours for an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science. For a FREE unofficial evaluation of your previously earned credits, please fax, email, or mail copies of your unofficial transcripts to our contact.
Blackstone Paralegal Program | Inmate students can earn their paralegal certification
Blackstone’s Paralegal Program Perks
- The legal knowledge gained through our Paralegal certificate program may provide opportunities to make money while incarcerated and once released
- Offenders may qualify for earned time – consult with the education director for eligibility and the policies that apply in each state
- Research shows that serving productive time by increasing education reduces recidivism
The opportunity to get some legal education through the Brookstone Paralegal program with a scholarship from SWOP Behind Bars gave me a chance to help other people file several motions that have resulted in reduced sentences! I can’t tell you how grateful I am that I received this scholarship!
Paul R, Incarcerated in Ohio